Propagation & Licensing
Important Plant Protection and Licensing Information
All Ball FloraPlant and Darwin Perennials varieties listed herein are covered by the terms and conditions of the Flowering Only License Agreement. Many are also protected by U.S. Patents and/or Plant Breeders’ Rights in Canada and elsewhere.
Flowering-Only License Agreement
A Flowering-Only License Agreement is enclosed with the packing list of all orders of unrooted and rooted Ball FloraPlant and Darwin Perennials varieties. By opening the box, customers signify agreement with the terms and conditions of the Flowering-Only License.
Flowering-Only License Terms
- Allows for the growing and selling of “Finished Plants,” defined as plants grown for at least
five weeks in a 3-in. (7.5-cm) size pot/container or larger for at least four (4) weeks from planting
of a rooted cutting, and seven (7) weeks from planting of an unrooted cutting.
- All finished product must be sold with a Ball or Simply Beautiful supplied or approved label or tag.
- Sale of rooted or unrooted cuttings to any other company or individual is strictly prohibited
as is propagation and/or the taking of tip cuttings.
A copy of the Flowering-Only License is also available on our web site as well as from Royalty Administration International® (RAI) in the U.S. at (800 472-4724) and from COPF in Canada at (800 265-1629). RAI has been appointed as our licensing agent in the United States and COPF has been appointed as our licensing agent in Canada. Only Ball FloraPlant Geranium and New Guinea Impatiens varieties are available for self-propagation upon completion of a Self-Propagation License, also available through RAI.
Due to their natural habit, unrooted cuttings of some varieties can be somewhat fine or wispy. For these varieties, Ball requires that customers use 2 cuttings per cell. To facilitate this, customers will be shipped 2 cuttings of the varieties below for the price of 1. Ball believes that it is necessary to utilize these varieties in this way to allow for the most successful finished product.
If cuttings are "stuck" 1 per cell, customers will be responsible for the cost of full royalty and tags for those extra plants. You may arrange for payment of the royalty and tags by calling Ball at 800 879-BALL.
Ball provides 2 cuttings for the price of 1 for the following series:
- Abunda™ Bacopa
- Amethyst and Eduring Blue Brachyscome
- American Dream, Moonbeam & Zagreb Coreopsis
- Allyson Heather Cuphea
- Juliet™ & Romeo™ Diascia
- Aromatica™ Nemesia
- Vinca minor
Self-Propagation License Agreement
Only Ball Geranium and New Guinea Impatiens varieties are available for self-propagation. Propagation of Geraniums and New Guinea Impatiens is strictly prohibited without a Self-Propagation License.
Self-Propagation License Terms
- Any cuttings taken from these plants must be used for finished production only.
- Any and all growing under this License Agreement must be performed solely at the "ship to" address as shown on the shipping documents accompanying this License Agreement and only for the purpose of producing a flowering (finished) crop within the United States and Canada. "Finished Plants" are defined as plants grown in a 3-inch size container or larger for at least 4 weeks from planting of a rooted cutting and 7 weeks from planting of an unrooted cutting.
- Licensee is not allowed to sell or transfer to any party unrooted cuttings, rooted cuttings, or young (prefinished) plants of these varieties at any time.
To obtain a Self-Propagation License, please contact RAI in the US at 800 472-4724, or COPF in Canada at 800 265-1629. A Self-Propagation License is a royalty-bearing license that must be signed and returned to receive stock plants.